Seared Blackened Tofu Balsamic Salad
Sometimes when I’m scrounging through the odd pairing of ingredients in my house, I come up with weird sounding recipes that surprising turn out well. That’s how this one came recipe came about. I had tofu, mixed greens, red onion and I almost always have ingredients to make a balsamic vinaigrette. The only thing I felt this dish was lacking was tomatoes. Either way, this was delicious and I would definitely make it again.
Blackened Seasoned Tofu
1 Firm Tofu 15 oz package
1 Tbsp Cayenne
1 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
1 tsp salt
½ Red Onion Sliced Thin
1 Clove minced garlic
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp Honey
¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
¾ cup olive oil
2 Cups prepared Mixed Salad Greens
Caramelized Red Onion
- Slice ½ of a red onion thinly
- Add oil to a med-high heat pan then add onions
- Continue to cook and stir red onions until translucent with a caramelized texture, then set aside.
- Cut firm tofu into 1” x 4” blocks and dry on paper towels
- Mix together Paprika, Cayenne, Black Pepper and Salt.
- Spread blackened seasoning on all sides of the tofu until completely covered.
- Put olive oil in a hot skillet med-high heat and carefully sear tofu until both sides are darkly browned.
- Set aside on paper towel when done
- Add minced garlic, honey, mustard and balsamic to a mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil while mixing vigorously to emulsify the vinaigrette.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Add caramelized onions to balsamic vinaigrette and mix together to coat.
- Add mixed greens toss together with dressing, taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- On a plate, carefully place greens on the bottom, then onions then place blackened tofu on top.
- Serve and enjoy….