5 Easy Steps for Beginning Meditation
- Sitting Position- Start by making sure you are in a chair or sitting on a cushion on the floor. It is important that you keep your back straight so your breathing is easy. I recommend sitting in a comfortable chair with either your hands open on in your lap so you are not re-positioning during your meditation.
- Use a timer and Keep it Short – When first starting out, it’s easy to lose focus so keep your meditation to 5-10 minutes. This will make it easier to grasp and to stick to a routine.
- Guided videos or Group meditation – When I first started, I found videos online and went to local free group meditations. My recommendation on videos are to find short ones where the narrator has a soothing voice. Group meditations are great because you may find techniques and ways to practice you may not think of or find on your own. Group practice really helped me to understand how to get the most out of meditation.
- Find your Mantra – This took some time for myself to find, but your mantra really helps you to fall into a meditative state. You can start by saying your full name on your breath, say some positive affirmations or things you are grateful for. You do not need to do it throughout the entire time, just enough to clear outside thoughts and just be mindful of the present moment.
- Practice – This is the hardest part. Set aside the time to meditate that works best for you. Whether it’s in the morning, afternoon or before sleep, you want the time to be most beneficial for you. Think of it like exercise or brushing your teeth, it is mental hygiene and you will only notice the difference with practice.